Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:57:23 -0700
From:      Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>
To:        Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
Cc:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>, Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: advocacy site

On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 08:28:35AM -0600, Donald Wilde wrote:
> Gregory Sutter wrote:
> >
> > I don't even think there was a real call for volunteers to work on
> > the site.  I don't remember seeing one, anyway.  (If I'm wrong, please
> > refresh my memory.)
> >
> Greg, it's sad to hear that coming from you. The whole site was a call
> for volunteeers. I had numerous postings on the advo list pointing to
> the task list of things that needed to be done, and asking for people to
> add input. DN even posted some of my comments and the links. Jim and Rob
> were doing a great job until the wind was knocked out of the operation
> by Bob B. deciding to change directions at Walnut Creek. Bill Swingle
> was hired on the inside to replace me, but it seems that he's getting
> even more bogged down in impossible expectations than I was. I don't
> hear much from him.

Eek. Don, I wasnt hired to replace you. I was hired to do a myiad of
different tasks. My primary task is not advocacy. That said, it *is* one
of the things that I get to through some attention at when I am not
bogged down by little things like planning the upcoming FreeBSDCon or
cranking out the new FreeBSD toolkit.

Before actauly being hired by WC, I volunteered to be part of the web
devel team on the advocay site. I had a briefe exchange with those in
charge but there was never any concrete details of my involvment laid
out.

I most definatly want to see the advocacy site live. Albeit, in
different circumstances. While the site was well thought out and
designed to scale well, it did not fit into the cureent scheme that the
rest of the freebsd.org web stuff does. This is a huge detriment as ppl
that would normally be able to fix a typo on the main website were
powerless (or at least hindered) in wanting to fix items on the advocacy
site.

If I can get enough ppl interested in activly maintaining the site, I
propose that it be brought back up and integrated with the CVS tree so
that it meshes better with the existing setup. I am willing to put
together and admin a new box that could live here at WC if need be.

-Bill

--
-=| Bill Swingle - unfurl@dub.net  - unfurl@freebsd.org - bill@cdrom.com
-=| "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers" Pablo Picasso