Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 2002 11:30:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Mike Makonnen <makonnen@pacbell.net>, Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>, <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: rc.d is in the tree

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Mike Makonnen wrote:
> > Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> > > in amd,
> > >       # REQUIRE: rpcbind mountall ypbind nfsclient
> > >                                   ******
> > > since i don't use yp, how can i override this?
> > >
> > > or in other words, can REQUIRE be configurable too?
> >
> > The REQUIRE line doesn't mean it will be started. It just means that
> > ypbind comes before amd in the boot process.
>
> Ick.
>
> What should be used instead of REQUIRE to mean that it will be
> started?
>
> I.e. if "REQUIRE" describes soft dependency ordering, what
> describes hard dependency ordering?

I don't like this design decision either. I have a couple of ideas on how
to get rid of rcorder completely and bring the dependency checking into
the script itself (complete with the notion of hard and soft
dependencies).

I was thinking of coming up with a way to make dynamic dependency
registration and coming up with a reverse and forward dependency tree so
if you stop nfsd, it would make a call to mountd to see if there was
anything still using nfsd. If there weren't any more dependencies, it
would then stop mountd (that could be a bit risky though, depending on the
completeness of the dependency tree).

-gordon