Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2012 12:10:55 +0000
From:      Holger Kipp <Holger.Kipp@alogis.com>
To:        "<prabhpal@digital-infotech.net>" <prabhpal@digital-infotech.net>
Cc:        "<freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Gnome consume 100% cpu FreeBSD_9.0

Hi,

Am 01.06.2012 um 13:48 schrieb Shiv. NK:

> Dear Community Members,
>
> It is FreeBSD 9.0 release, system was functioning normal for many months
> now.  Today I enabled Xserver in "/etc/rc.conf"
>
> gdm_enable=3D"YES"
> gnome_enable=3D"YES
>
> After 5 minutes of booting some process start killing the cpu, than
> eventually with in 7 minutes, processor get stack to 99.9%
>
> The load average was terribly big that was 57,34,23. Whereas it never his=
> above 1.x
>
> I tried to look for the process by typing "htop" output is filled by the
> following command.
>
> 2239 mark     122   0  192M 15916     0 S  0.0  0.8  0:00.19
> /usr/local/bin/gpk-update-icon

According to

        http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=3D21880

the reason is some PackageKit Update Applet which is running wild spawning =
processes.

So either of the following might work (all untested):

- 'System->Preferences->Personal->Sessions and then Untick "PackageKit Upda=
te Applet"'

- "In my case, after installing gnome-lite it is functioning properly. I al=
so installed xorg from ports."

- Remove packagekit completely
        cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/packagekit
        make deinstall

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Holger

--
Holger Kipp
Diplom-Mathematiker

Tel. : +49 30 436 58 114
Fax. : +49 30 436 58 214
Mobil: +49 178 36 58 114
Email: holger.kipp@alogis.com

alogis AG
Alt-Moabit 90b
D-10559 Berlin

web : http://www.alogis.com

alogis AG
Sitz/Registergericht: Berlin/AG Charlottenburg, HRB 71484
Vorstand: Arne Friedrichs, Joern Samuelson
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Reinhard Mielke