Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2012 19:54:06 +0300
From:      Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        Jamie Paul Griffin <jamie@osx.kode5.net>, Jeffrey Bouquet <jeffreybouquet@yahoo.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS-UP] Announcing the end of port CVS

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 6:26 AM, Alexandr Kovalenko
> <never@nevermind.kiev.ua> wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 2. Select US east coast or US west as your server. Pick at random or
>>> pick the one closer to you.
>>
>> What if neither is close to me (there are other countries in the
>> world, not only USA, some are even on the other side of the planet,
>> btw, did you know?) ?
>
> Yes, I am quite aware of it, but I am merely the messenger. Until
> other subversion mirrors are made available in other parts of the
> world, only the two in the US are available. I'm sure that will change
> in time, but for the moment, only the two US mirrors have been
> announced.
>
> For now, if it is not clear which is closer, you can ping to see which
> has the faster response. In my case, us-west is about 20 ms away while
> us-east is 100. If you have a well connected server in another part of
> the world, I assume the project would be happy to have another mirror
> made available. Note that the full repository is quite large. There
> are clearly security issues, too.

JFYI, I'm already running ftp/cvsup.ua.freebsd.org (primary Ukrainian
mirror) for about 8 years.

But the recent changes to policies, which were discussed behind the
closed doors by some group of people in The FreeBSD Project,
effectively makes all efforts, money and so on, which were invested to
support project, unnecessary. Current (semi-official) statements say
that project is going to abandon practice of non-project managed
mirrors and will do everything on it's own.

As for now my mirror serves full CVS[up] repo from SSD, and have full
FTP archive avaliable, which is synced every hour.

You may have read the situation with Australian SVN mirror - when
project officials officially prohibited guys, who set it up to use
*.freebsd.org name for that.

--
Alexandr Kovalenko
ftp/cvsup.ua.freebsd.org maintainer.