Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2006 15:07:58 -0500
From:      Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   homemade PVR questions

Hello,

I'm just getting ready to setup a PVR for myself on my FreeBSD
machine, but I thought I would run by my plans with you guys first
just to ensure that this will work.

I have a satellite signal (Bell ExpressVu), it comes with a set-top
box that inputs and outputs a coax signal. I'm looking at the
Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250 and using the driver for this provided in the
ports tree with MythTV.

Really, all I need this for is recording TV shows just like we used
to use a VCR for. If I can schedule, record, save to a directory,
I'll pick up this Hauppauge card.

Are there minimal requirements for the video and sound cards, or is
all of this handled by the Hauppauge card? Any experiences doing
something similar to what I'm doing? Any general advice?

Thanks!

Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
http://www.netmusician.org
joe@netmusician.org