Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 08:23:41 -0500
From:      Tony <tbrock@mail.phoenix.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user PPP only works for root

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Ken Seggerman wrote:
> I am running FreeBSD 3.1 on a Pentium 486 machine, and have the user ppp
> that came with the release (PPP Version 2.0 - $Date: 1998/12/14 01:15:34)
>
> It no longer says "User Process PPP. Writen by Toshiaru OHNO."
>
> I have been using user ppp for some time now, but have only recently
> tried to break the habit of doing everthing as root, but still have to su
> to use ppp.
>
> $ ppp
> Working in interactive mode
> Warning: No available tunnel devices found (Permission denied).
> Warning: bundle_Create: No such file or directory

Changing system routes, redirecting devices and access to the tunnel device is
not allowed by any user but root.  I'm curious about an suid root ppp myself
but I think it opens glaring and ugly security holes of which I'm not educated
about.  There is a way to "open" things up using sysctl but upon dynamically
modifiying the kernel in this way you open huge gaping holes in security.
Maybe someone else could expand or correct me here?

Tony