Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 13:41:42 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.win.tue.nl>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        tom@sdf.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: old "make reinstall" bug

Bruce Evans wrote:
> >There are more bugs. Building of xinstall during the bootstrap fase in a
> >make world breaks on pre 2.2.2 systems. The fix is to have a -I../../sys
> >in the makefile. Also netstat and others are broken because they use -I/sys.
> >I will fix this soon.
>
> The correct fix for the others is to remove -I/sys (so that everything
> is consistently broken if /usr/include/sys is not installed :-).
> xinstall and other bootstrap targets require something more, probably
> src-tree relative -I's in /usr/src/Makefile instead of ${DESTDIR}-relative
> -I's in /usr/src/Makefile.

But it isn't installed when make bootstrap is ran. And since xinstall
uses stuff from ls and ls is depending on sys/stat.h and there wasn't
a NOUNLINK flag in previous versions of FreeBSD, the bootstrap is broken.
I think xinstall should only depend on the tree it is built in...

I do agree on the fix for netstat...(and iostat and pciconf and pstat)

-Guido