Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 21:20:00 -0400
From:      conta@alpo.casc.com (Alex Conta)
To:        gpalmer@freebsd.org, se@zpr.uni-koeln.de
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, conta@alpo.casc.com
Subject:   More on Adaptec 2940 PCI-SCSI on Compaq ProLinea 5100

Gary wrote:
..
> My money is on the Compaq having one of the ``interesting'' Compaq PCI
> implimentations which causes our code nightmares. You may want to try
> 2.1.5 to see if it has the Compaq fixes in it, if not then -current
> does.
>
> (BTW: the ahc driver doesn't appear to the `-c' boot config. as it's a
>  PCI device and all necessary information is auto-detected, but *ONLY*
>  if the PCI bus is detected)

config in "line mode" allows entering commands for it.

By the way, the manual - Installing and Running FreeBSD - is in contradiction:
at page 7 ahc0 is 294x, and ahc1 is 274x, while at page 165 ahc0 is 274x, and
ahc1 is 2940/3940. And then again at page 181, 27dx is ahb0, while
174x is ahc0, and ahc1.

At any rate, I learn more about this, as I go along.

Some more information related to the PCI problem:

I installed the Adaptec PIC-SCSI card into a Compaq DexPro 6200 XL, as a
second SCSI adapter, I disabled the embeded SCSI (AMD), and the FreeBSD
installation went well so far - I didn't boot yet.

What I think is relevant is that 'boot -v' listed this time the
following:

 pcibus_setup(1):  mode1res=0x80000000c (0x80000000), mode2res = 0xff (0x0e)

as opposed to when it failed:

 pcibus_setup(1):  mode1res=0x80000000c (0x80000000), mode2res = 0x0c (0x0e)

It seems that the value 0 of bit 1 causes the failure.

2.

> > Any plans to add support for the AMD SCSI adapter that is embedded with
> > Compaq DexPro 6200 XL?
>
> Not that I am aware of.

Apparently the Compaq's PCI Ethernet (AMD) is recognized but no driver exists.
So it looks like a further mismatch between Compaq and FreeBSD.

Alex