Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 20:03:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Michael Graffam <mgraffam@mhv.net>
To:        grcuerrier <grcuerrier@cnwl.igs.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lost root password

On Tue, 23 Dec 1997, grcuerrier wrote:

> One of my techs entered a new root password, which he has forgotten.  Is
> there any way a user with "wheel" access can reset the root password
> without having to redo the whole server?

If you installed the sudo package, yes. If not, you can use the tried
and try method of (re)gaining root access: find an exploit :)

> Strange question I know.  I thought possibly there would be a way upon
> power up.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Look through the documentation for the boot loader, and see if you
can find something that allows you to give new commands to init on
boot up. If so, specify something like /bin/sh, which should give
you a root shell at startup (before normal login takes place) then
you can just use passwd, and then reboot.

Michael Graffam (mgraffam@mhv.net)
http://www.mhv.net/~mgraffam - Religion, Philosophy, Computers, etc