Date:      Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:24:38 +0200
From:      "[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze@gmx.de>
To:        Understudy <list@understudy.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out

--------------enigC79E6764854DCCF2183B439D

I'm having the same issue with my Thinkpad R40.

The reason, at least I think so, is the following:

While the ata0-master (your hd) is jumpered to master, I think that the
ata1-master (your CD/DVD) is hardwired to cable select. Which causes the
OS to probe for more devices. Since there are no jumpers to be found,
even if you open the CD/DVD device, I don't think there's a solution,
unless you want to hand-patch the kernel.