Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 1995 14:18:37 -0800
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu
Cc:        thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de, FreeBSD-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a kvetch and a proposal

 * This is getting long, but I don't want to trim context yet.  A couple
 * more suggestions: I would like PORTDOCSDIR not to be dependent on
 * $PREFIX, because $PREFIX defaults to switching from /usr/local to
 * /usr/X11R6, and this seems to be unnecessary fracturing for docs.
 * Leaving PORTDOCSDIR independent wouldn't make it any harder for someone
 * to set it anywhere they like, but it would make for one destination, not
 * two.

The ports don't like to go to two subtrees.  It's much easier to let
the user look at /usr/local or /usr/X11R6 depending on where the
binary is, than let an X port/package install something in /usr/local,
since this tree can move around. ;)

 * 	 Second point, I agree on the PKGNAME thing, but what else would you
 * use, DISTNAME?

The basename (i.e., no version part) of PKGNAME (or DISTNAME if
PKGNAME is not defined).  The part that stays constant accross
versions.  (There is no variable that holds this -- although since the
PKGNAME is standardized now, it shouldn't be difficult to sed it out
of PKGNAME.)

 * Once I see the changes show up in the makefile, I will send in changes on
 * various makefiles to implement this.  I tried hacking bsd.port.mk myself,
 * but what a nightmare that file is!

We don't need to change bsd.port.mk.  All we need is adding a
post-install target with (example for port "foobar-1.3"):

.if !defined(NOPORTDOCS)
post-install:
  mkdir -p ${PREFIX}/share/doc/foobar
  cp ${WKRSRC}/{doc1,doc2} ${PREFIX}/share/doc/foobar
.endif

and add these lines to pkg/PLIST

  share/doc/foobar/doc1
  share/doc/foobar/doc2

The only thing we need to agree at this point is the name of the
variable, we can include it to bsd.port.mk later if that is more
desirable.  Is NOPORTDOCS ok for everyone?

Satoshi