Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 16:42:44 -0500
From:      Randy & Leah Simpson <randynleah@earthlink.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   some questions

To whom it may concern:

  My system is a 486-66-DX with 32 MB of RAM, a CD-ROM drive, and two
hard-disk drives under a dual boot of Windows 3.11 and Win95.  The C:\
disk is 400 MB in size and has 60 MB of free space; Windows 3.11 is
installed on this disk.  The D:\ disk is 1.96 GB in size and has 1.66 GB
of free space; Win95 is installed on this disk.

  I'm relatively new to dealing with the "guts" of PCs and would
appreciate some assistance with the following questions:

1.  If it's possible, I would like to install FreeBSD (preferably on the
D:\ disk) as an addition to the dual boot.

    Do you know of any reason that it would not be feasible to do this?

(My goal is to learn CGI programming, probably using Perl at the outset,
and I'm trying to set up the PC with this in mind.)

2.  In the information provided on your Web site about installing
FreeBSD, I found a brief mention of partitioning, about which I have
very little practical knowledge.

    Should partitioning be done when installing FreeBSD under
       circumstances such as those described above?
    If not, under what conditions would one partition a disk?
    Could partitioning interfere with the existing dual boot and, if so,
       are any good alternatives available?

3.  If partitioning is necessary, how would I go about doing it (e.g.,
could you suggest any particular programs to use)?

4.  Is there anything else I should know about this undertaking that
could help me to avoid messing up my system?  :-)

5.  How much do you charge for the CD-ROM disk containing FreeBSD, and
about long would it take to get it?  What forms of payment do you
accept?

  I would be grateful for any information you can provide on this.

  Thanks for your assistance.  Take care and have a good week.

Sincerely,

Leah Simpson