Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 22:53:41 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Discussion : Using DHCP to obtain configuration.

> On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
> > Actually, what I want is a stub version of the LDAP client library that
> > can be linked into a few of the items that run early on (init, mount,
> > fsck, dhclient, etc), before the network is up.  Once the net is up,
> > everything parametric ought to be indirected through a generic "get me
> > a parameter" API.
>
> See, so the reason I find this concerning is that it stores the
> configuration information (presumably) in a single repository, and the
> kernel enforcement of the security on this repository can't be made finer
> grained.

The kernel has little or nothing of a say in the matter.  If you stop a
moment and realise that the information in question may not even be
local to the system in question, you'll realise that access controls
have to be a part of the parameter store itself.

Fortunately for your peace of mind, LDAP supports ACL controls.

> If the two approaches can be made compatible, I am all for a more sane
> configuration system :).  If not, then I see problems.

If we can't come up with an acceptable compromise, then naturally it's
not going to be accepted.  One thing at a time - make it happen at all
first.  8)