Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:35:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        media@ct1.nai.net
Cc:        dima@unixfreak.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: changing root shell??

> At 2:04 PM -0700 10/14/00, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> >
> >They're both uid 0, so I don't see how toor is any more accessable
> >than root.  All restrictions (no telent/ftp logins) apply to both of
> >them.  Maybe whoever said that was referring to the case where you
> >forget your root password and don't have physical access to the host
> >in question.
>
> So why should I activate toor??  I don't need remote access.  If I can't
> get at the computer, I have a bigger problem of being locked out of

I don't remember exactly what this thread was about (you snipped it, I
think), but from the subject I guess you were asking something about
changing root's shell (obvious, isn't it? <g>).

The answer here is, if you really want a root-level account with a
shell other than /bin/sh or /bin/csh, you should probably leave the
'root' account alone, and change the shell for toor to your liking.
This is recommended in favor of changing the root shell because if,
for whatever reason, the shell you set for toor is inaccessable (if
it's in /usr/local/bin/tcsh and /usr isn't mounted) you still have a
valid account you can fix things with.

Two other solutions (which are probably recommended over this one) are
to just type '<your shell>' whenever you su to root, or use sudo (in
the ports).

Hope this helps

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Finger dima@unixfreak.org for my public PGP key.

"Never understimate the power of human stupidity."
	-- Robert A. Heinlein