Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:57:56 -0700
From:      "Kerry Davis" <kedavis@uswest.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Fw: puzzlement

the problem isn't with booting off the floppies originally.  I guess I
wasn't clear about that.

the problem is, AFTER I FINISH the install, and remove the boot floppies and
the CD, my system won't boot.  Even if I set the boot option in the BIOS to
"C: Only" it STILL goes to the floppy after power-on, and STAYS THERE.
floppy light on steady, etc.  It doesn't appear to even LOOK AT the hard
disk, where I just finished installing BSD, supposedly "successfully."

and the CD might be bootable, but I don't have that option on this system.
(Gateway 2000 P4D-66 tower, PhoenixBIOS, 486-66 originally, upgraded to
Intel 486-75 overdrive.)  There is no boot-from-CD option in the BIOS.  Boot
options available are A: then C:, C: then A:. and C: Only

The motherboard is a PCI board, with on-board IDE and Floppy.  I have two CD
drives connected to IDE, but the actual "storage" for the system is SCSI,
using a Qlogic 1080 SCSI card.  I'm using an IBM 2gig SCSI drive dedicated
to the OS, and I have a Compaq/Seagate 36.4 gig drive for "mass storage."
Another issue I ran into is that when I had the 36.4 gig drive connected,
the install crashed shortly after the "visual mode kernel configuration"
screen, with a Kernel Panic, Error 18, Integer Divide Error While In Kernel
Mode, right after a line showing that it was looking at the 36.4 gig drive.
I disconnected that drive while installing, and that error stopped coming
up.

But frankly, the whole installation process - booting from the floppies,
anyway - seems pretty sloppy and half-baked to me.  Even leaving aside the
crashing-on-the-large-drive problem (what would I have done if that was the
ONLY drive I had for my system?), once it gets to the "visual mode kernel
configuration" screen, the floppy drive is spinning steadily until I get out
of that.  If I started the boot/install and then had to go off for an
emergency or something, it's going to sit there and spin the floppy for 24
hours or whatever?  Just what I need.

Then the kernel configuration thing comes up with 4 SCSI interface options
that I guess it "detected", NONE of which is what I actually have.  (It
shows Advansys Narrow SCSI, two Adaptec options - one of them being a sound
card with SCSI interface for CD! - and a Buslogic.)  As well as about 8
ethernet card options, again none of which actually matches what I have, and
a PC Card (PCMCIA) interface, which also doesn't exist in this system.

Then half the time when I select some installation option, it jumps right to
"installation completed with some errors" without EVER copying ANYTHING from
the CD.  So then I go back to the Install Options menu, and go through
Standard Install stuff AGAIN, but select a different option down the line.

The whole thing is getting rather disappointing, even disgusting.  And here
I'm the guy who's been telling people to use FreeBSD, instead of linux.
Because it's more mature, more stable, not "amateur-ware" which is how I
refer to linux.  And now when I try to actually install it myself, and all
THIS stuff happens.  It makes me look rather foolish, and I can't say that I
like how it's turning out so far.

Some people have told me to get rid of the DOS partition that I originally
set up on the system, in order to read the readme.txt and install.txt, and
to do the makeflp.bat thing to create the boot/install floppies.  But right
in the .txt files, it RECOMMENDS keeping a small DOS partition on the
system, in case of "emergencies."  You'd think that, with a recommendation
like that, they'd at least make it so it could actually WORK.  But
apparently not, at least not so far as I can see.

Sorry for the bitter tone, but I'm getting rather fed up with the whole
thing.  Any suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.  I've
tried using two different sets of fresh floppies for the boot/setup thing,
they both do the same thing.  Maybe this CD I got isn't really any good.
Although it came from some kind of demo thing held in Texas I think,
supposedly they were passed out by actual high-end BSD honchos, so you'd
think the CDs would be known-good too, but the way things have been going
maybe I shouldn't assume that either...