Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 11:49:35 -0400
From:      Eric Brown <brownej@locust.cns.vt.edu>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: digital camera

I just got through purchasing a digital camera.  I found
http://www.steves-digicams.com to be an excellent resource
for researching digital cameras and c-net an excellent
source to find pricing.

Direct to digital sure beats having to go to the store for
developing and then taking the time to scan negatives, etc.
I can immediately delete the junk pictures and also get
immediate feedback on the settings I used, which is good
for me only being a reasonably competent amature.

I finally arrived on the Olympus Camedia 2040-Z.  It takes
exceptionally clear pictures and has new brighter optics.
It's a 2 megapixel camera, so those with the need might also
consider the 3040-Z with 3 megapixels.  I couldn't see buying
a more point-and-shoot type camera since the features on this
one didn't add very much to the overall price.  My wife can
easily use it as a simple point and shoot in the program mode
and I have easy access to advanced features.

The camera uses smart media and looks like a usb mass storage
device when hooked to the computer.  Haven't gotten this to
work yet under FreeBSD, but I haven't spent a lot of time
diddling with it yet.  It just worked when I plugged it into
both W2000 Pro and RH (7.1?).

The lithium batteries that came with it seemed to have a good
life, but the Ni-Metal Hydride rechargables I'm using now don't
last as long as I'd like.  Though I can take a days worth of
pictures not being overly careful of battery usage.  I'll
probably just purchase another set of NiMH's and rotate them.

--Eric Brown