Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 2015 22:40:02 -0400
From:      George Rosamond <george@ceetonetechnology.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BeagleBone Green

George Rosamond:
> Bernd Walter:

>>> I was mistaken. It appears that Beaglebone Green has microSD, and adds a battery holder to keep the TOD clock running when no power is supplied.
>>
>> Nice feature.
>> On the other hand I don't like USB connectors for power and having the
>> barrel plug was a good thing.
>>

> +1 on that.  There were cases in the past that I assume power was the
> issue with a number of BeagleBone problems, such as mount USB sticks.
>
> The OP question remains, though: has anyone installed FreeBSD on the
> Green yet?  I'm curious about the support for groove and the associated
> devices, and whether the "identical chipsets" are *really* identical.
> We all know, by now, that the same label on a component is not
> necessarily the same chipset.

Just a quick followup on this.

I picked up a BeagleBone Green today, and gjb@'s 10.2 image from
20150801 booted just as it does on the BBBlack.  Didn't yet attempt to
copy from the microSD to eMMC yet.

Serial connections work fine with the FTDI j1/j4/j5 connections as with
the BBBlack.

I posted the dmesg on NYC*BUG's dmesgd:

http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?action=dmesgd&do=view&id=2830

I haven't followed the status of pkg on arm recently, but pkg doesn't
seem operational with the binary install:

root@beaglebone:~ # pkg
The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
Bootstrapping pkg from
pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:10:armv6/quarterly, please wait...
pkg: Error fetching
http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:10:armv6/quarterly/Latest/pkg.txz: Not Found
A pre-built version of pkg could not be found for your system.
Consider changing PACKAGESITE or installing it from ports: 'ports-mgmt/pkg'.

I am now in the process of populating /usr/ports with svnlite, but it's
still painfully slow.

I don't have any of the four-pin grooves to test yet, but I'll probably
start checking those out after I get back into building crochet images.

It may be time to update the Wiki and other documentation with (at
least) mention of the BBGreen.