Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 1999 13:03:14 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS, the time has come...

As Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> My picture of a devfsd is a daemon with some text based configuration
> file allowing you to specify dynamic policy (Set the permisions on
> sa* to root:backup, 0600) as well as record the results of explicit
> chmod, chown, ln, mv, etc. operations on any DEVFS instance.

I feel I could live with _that_ way of persistence rather well.  It
would also allow for both implementations to compete (a persistent one
via a devfsd, and a hand-edited policy description via rc.devfs) for
some time, in order to see which one might be the best.  Regardless of
which one we choose, the kernelland is about the same and any required
details about the kernel part of DEVFS could be clarified quickly, so
necessary actions (like possibly revamping the entire kernel
implementation should this be required) won't be deferred again for a
long period.

I take it from all the people who raised their voice so far that all
are in happy agreement that DEVFS should become the future standard
(and since it has been deferred for too long already, this should be
done in something like 3.1-RELEASE)?  This was one of Poul-Henning's
questions, too.

--
cheers, J"org