Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:29:58 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.1 Installation Prob

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Eric Anderson wrote:

>>    I am trying to install FreeBSD on my machine which already has Windows
>> XP, SUSE Linux 10.1.
>>
>> After partitioning and selecting the installation packages; as soon as i
>> hit the button to start install; it says "/dev/X" not found and aborted the
>> install. I am trying to install from CD. What is the problem?
>>
>>   BTW this is the first time I am trying to install FreeeBSD or for that
>> matter any flavour of BSD. But I am ok with Linux installtions.
>
> Can you report the actual /dev/* it warns about?  What kind of system is it?
> Also - you might try a FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE CD instead of -CURRENT, as
> -CURRENT is considered 'beta', and any -RELEASE should be stable.

I consider -CURRENT alpha, although in practice it's the lack of assurance
that it will run well, rather than the lack of running well, that's the issue.
One of the things that tends not to work very well in -CURRENT is the
automated install process, since that's not tested often since most developers
do incremental updates rather than fresh installs.

:-)

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
Universty of Cambridge