Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:31:33 +0400
From:      Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@mail.ru>
To:        "Ivan S. Baturin" <ivan@labfer.usu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Collecting hardware information in FreeBSD

* Ivan S. Baturin (ivan@labfer.usu.ru) wrote:
> I am not experienced in FreeBSD and need small aid in getting hardware
> info from machine on which the FreeBSD installed (the guy who managed
> this server is gone from us :( ). Is there any simple software that is
> easy to run or install/run on FreeBSD5 to get info like manufacturer,
> model, serial and etc from hardware parts installed (it need to be run
> only once or twice on two machines)? The server is running and people
> using it as http, e-mail, fileserver and other roles and I don't like
> to shutdown it (otherwise I would just boot from CD or FDD on which I
> have the Win/DOS version of Everest/Aida of Astra software which suit
> my need well).
Dunno about serials, but to get info on which hardware is installed,
you'll probably need these:

cat /var/run/dmesg.boot (generic info on devices and drivers attached)
pciconf -lv (for pci devices)
usbdevs -v (for usb devices)
atacontrol list (for ata devices)

There are some more specific utilities. For example,
ports/sysutils/dmidecode is somewhat useful.

--
Best regards,
 Dmitry                          mailto:amdmi3@mail.ru