Date:      Sat, 30 Jan 1999 23:37:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tony@dell.com (Tony Overfield)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB drivers

> >It looks like there are about 100 different monitors that do USB
> >now,
>
> Those monitors have USB for controls and for "convenience" hubs,
> but the video itself doesn't go over the USB.

That's disappointing.  I guess we will have to wait for FireWire;
talking FireWire to a video chip and memory in a monitor is faster
than talking PCI to a card in your computer.

Wait... it looks like SGI has a FireWire flat panel...

> >So maybe a box with just a power connector, a FW port and a USB hub
> >chip (to seperate the "A" and "B" devices).
> >
> >Maybe I should send this to Tony over at dell... 8-).
>
> Don't worry, we already have plenty of marketing types that
> think up stuff like that all too often.  ;-)

So, got any engineering prototypes you want to unload for cheap?  I'm
in the market for a FreeBSD box to beat the Linux small web server
record.  Maybe a web server on a tie-tack... 8^).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.