Date:      Sun, 15 May 2005 19:33:06 +0200
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        Sean Hafeez <sah.list@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jumping to kernel entry - 5.4

On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 03:01:02PM -0700, Sean Hafeez wrote:
> Thought I would try 5.4 on my Ultra60 with 2x350Mhz CPUs. Booting from
> the CD I get to..
>
> jumping to kernel entry at 0xc0040000
>
> and the system hangs there. Did a seach and the only thing I could
> find was some other people asking about it at:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-sparc64/2005-April/003028.html
>
> So anyone got a fix? Anything info I need to post?

You're most likely not using a serial console. FreeBSD/sparc64 up
to including 5.4 only really supports serial consoles. Prior to 5.4
however the FreeBSD/sparc64 GENERIC kernels came with ofw_console(4)
enabled which happens to work with graphical consoles to a certain
extent. In the FreeBSD/sparc64 5.4 GENERIC kernel that bit of
support for graphical consoles was traded for proper serial console
support (which also just sucked when driven by ofw_console(4) on
a machine that uses a chip not supported by sab(4) or zs(4)) by
switching from the ofw_console(4)/sab(4)/zs(4) combination to
uart(4).
If you want to use FreeBSD/sparc64 5.4 with a graphical console
anyway you have to compile a custom kernel. On a machine with a
Creator, Creator3D or Elite3D card and a RS232 keyboard you
should use the creator(4)/syscons(4)/uart(4). Otherwise your
only choice is to revert to ofw_console(4). Note that uart(4)
can't be used together with ofw_console(4) in the same kernel as
ofw_console(4) isn't a proper driver causing both to conflict
at several levels.
There's no simple "fix" to this other than to complete the
native support for graphical consoles in FreeBSD/sparc64. As
it currently stands FreeBSD 6.0 and 5.5 most likely will support
graphical consoles on most of the sparc64 machines FreeBSD
currently runs on in the GENERIC kernel (read: expect SBus-
based and non-Mach64 PCI graphics cards and PS/2 keyboards).

Marius