Date:      Sun, 6 Jun 1999 17:53:45 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
To:        Steve Howe <steve.howe@lhowe.freeserve.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Ex-buffoon seeks ATAPI CDROM advice

On Sun, Jun 06, 1999 at 05:02:44PM +0100, Steve Howe wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> >What is the CD-ROM setup as? master or slave?
> >primary or secondary channel?
>
> The CD-ROM is set up as the secondary channel.
>
> Both the primary and secondary channels (ie the hard disk IDE
> controller as well as the CD-ROM conroller) have in the Windows 98
> Control Panel devices display the entry
> "Parent device: Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller"
>
> The resources used by this device just repeat the same interrupts and
> addresses as reported by the 2 IDE Controllers, IRQ 14 0x1f0 & 15 0x170,
>
> >What make/model is it? Is it *definitely and IDE device and not a
> >proprietry one (Sony, Panasonic/Matsushita)?
>
> The model is a GoldStar CD-ROM CRD-8322B

Ah, this may be the problem. I've heard about problems with GoldStar
CD-ROMs. A quick search of the mail archives at
http://www.uk.freebsd.org/search/search.html entering ``GoldStar''
as the search string threw up a lot of info. Seems they are
problematic. Below is one posting that seems to have a solution
(slave it to a HD).

Take a look at the archives, you may find other useful info. Failing
that I reckon your best bet is to get a new drive. Sorry.

------- begin included message ------------

I have a system with an ATAPI IDE CD-ROM drive (Lucky Goldstar
CRD-8322B), and a SCSI hard disk off a Diamond Fireport 40 controller.

When I try booting off a FreeBSD-2.2.8 installation CD, the kernel
doesn't detect the IDE CD-ROM unless I also hook up an IDE Disk.

I've tried using the "Cable Select", "Master" and "Slave" settings
on the drive, and they all fail.  When using "Cable Select" or
"Master" the IDE controller is detected but the drive is not.  With
the "Slave" setting, the controller is not detected at all.

Should FreeBSD-2.x be able to work with just one IDE device which
is a CD-ROM?

------- end included message ------------