Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:46:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Victor <vdidov1@gl.umbc.edu>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        unfurl@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Handbook -> Security -> DES,MD5,Crypt

Hi, I was reading the part of the handbook you updated (DES, MD5, and
Crypt) and wanted to ask/provide you with some updates. Perhaps adding a

section called 8.4.2 would help others as well

1. How do you switch a password from des to md5? I was told on
newsgroups to just add $1$ to a user password and then use passwd
command to set the password again. This way the new password will be
md5. I believe this information might be useful to others (it was for
me).

2. How do you set so that the system treats all new passwords as md5 (by

default)?
I set the auth.conf line to this:
auth_default  =       md5

However the new passwords were still des style. Is there a way to make
sure all new passwords are md5? I was also thinking one might relink the

libs to libscrypt, but that would then cause problems if some users
still have des passwords.

Could answers to these questions be added to the handbook? I would also
appreciate if you sent me a solution to my second problem (if you know
one).

I know that DES has been broken. how secure is MD5 and are there other
algorithms that can be used? (maybe we should check what openbsd uses :)

Thank you very much
Victor