Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2023 13:43:32 +0200
From:      Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org>
To:        egoitz@ramattack.net
Cc:        Freebsd fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, Freebsd hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: M2 NVME support

Hi!

> We are in the process of buying new hardware for use with FreeBSD and
> ZFS. We are planning whether to buy M2 NVME disks or just SATA SSD disks
> (probably Samsung PM* ones). How is you experience with them?

One box with two NVMe (my packet-builder host), running CURRENT.

Model Number:                       Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB

Works fine, no problems. I have not measured throughput,
but I guess NVMe is faster than SSD, due to the SATA bottleneck etc.

Several boxes with SSD Sata (mostly Samsung SSD 850/960 and some
with Intel S4510/S4610/S4500/S4600 Series SSDs), all work fine.

There were issues with Samsung SSDs and AMD EPYC 3251 CPUs.
That's when we brought in the Intel SSDs...

--
pi@FreeBSD.org         +49 171 3101372                  Now what ?