Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:13:01 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      oliver.fromme@heim3.tu-clausthal.de (Oliver Fromme)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI Problems

Hi,

 > > I'm currently running FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE on a P166 with 128MB RAM, an
 > > Adaptec 2940 UW controller, 2 Quantam Atlases, 1 Quantam Grand Prix and an
 > > IDE Quantum Sirocco.
 >
 > I'm running the latest SCSI code I could find (I think) on a P166 128MB RAM
 > and an adaptek 2940 controller and have experienced the same error messages.
 > Same thing with the "time out while idle" etc.
 >
 > I only don't have Quantum disks, but two IBM DORS and an HP DAT (4Gig).  In
 > this case it is the HP DAT dat seems to be the culprit everytime,
 >
 > BUT !!, when attaching the DAT to a 2.2 (not even the latest SCSI code)
 > macine (120 MHz pentium  16MB RAM) the error does not occur ???? !!!!!
 > Can this be a timing problem with faster machines, like a P166 ??
 > [...]
 > Mine doesn't always get out of the timeout :( :(

Mine neither.  I'd just like to mention that exactly the same
happens to me -- I also have a P166, 128 Mb RAM, and a HP DAT
streamer (connected to an Adaptec 2940) which is causing
problems: a bunch of kernel messages regarding the SCSI bus,
followed by a complete lockup (no sync, no panic -- have to
press the red button).  If it is of any help for someone, I can
quote the exact messages/logs if necessary.

By the way, this is a 2.2.1 with updated kernel (which was said
to fix the adaptec problems of the 2.2.1 kernel).  My SCSI bus
is correctly terminated and not too long, the cables are ok.
I have no problems accessing the DAT streamer under NT (yes, I
still have to use WinNT sometimes ...  I wish FreeBSD would
support my scanner).

Sometimes my CD-ROM (a NEC CDR-512) causes problems, too, but
the HP DAT is much worse, it's almost unusable under FreeBSD.
I'll try to plug the HP DAT into a slower box, maybe it's
really the timing.

Regards
   Oliver Fromme

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18-61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany