Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:37:34 -0700
From:      Pat Lashley <patl+freebsd@volant.org>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gnome 1 -vs- 2

--==========414122324==========

--On Thursday, July 11, 2002 11:51:09 AM -0400 Joe Marcus Clarke=3D20
<marcus@marcuscom.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 03:41, Pat Lashley wrote:
>> When the GNOME2 ports were first added to the ports collection it was
>> necessary for anyone using them to be very careful to avoid installing
>> anything that would bring in certain of the GONME 1.4 ports which
>> conflicted with the 2.0 versions.  Is that still true, or have the
>> conflicting ports been updated to refuse to install if the other version
>> is already installed? In other words, is it safe to install GNOME2 (on a
>> clean system), then try to install other ports (like evolution or
>> galeon) without explicitly worrying about messing up the GNOME2
>> installation?
>
> To some extent, you still need to be careful.  However, work is under
> way to make sure GNOME 1.4.1 apps will not overwrite your GNOME 2.0
> desktop.  Have a look at http://www.freebsd.org/gnome under the GNOME
> 2.0 FAQ for upgrade instructions.

Ok, that helped clear things up a little; especially helpful was the
list of 1.4 packages to delete/avoid.  From the FreshPorts listings
it looks like work has been underway to convert apps that are not GNOME
version-specific to build with whichever version is installed.

But it seems to me that it would be very helpful to make a simple change
to the conflicting ports themselves (e.g., gnomecontrolcenter, gtop,
gnomeutils, etc.) to check for the presence of GNOME 2 and issue an
error message instead of building.  I believe something similar is done
in some (non-GNOME) ports where different versions are available but
cannot coexist on a single system.

-Pat