Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:25:25 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@rtfmconsult.com>
To:        David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Poor state of some top-level FTP mirrors

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, David O'Brien wrote:

> In my never ending quest to find an alternate ftp site for "pkg_add -r",
> I've tried many of our ftpX.freebsd.org mirrors.  The problem is the
> mirrors only seem to be consistent for short periods of time.
>
> As a simple test, the documented mirrors was polled for the file
> ftp://${SITE}/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/All/bonnie++-1.93.03.tgz
> which was updated on ftp.freebsd.org 2-March-2003.

the methodology of the way the packages tree is set out makes it
very difficult to provide a stable and uptodate mirror.  the freebsd
archive is one of the few that has a system which causes an entire package
tree to be rebuilt (and hence refetched) over and over again with
no ability to only fetch updated or changed packages and the packages trees
make up the bulk of the freebsd archive.

keeping that in mind, as well as the load this puts on bandwidth (how many
freebsd mirrors are there ? say 135 from below's stats) where at 6G for
this tree, that is almost a Terabyte of data that is pushed out in various
directions almost weekly for one tree.  would anyone say that there is even
half a terabyte of (compressed) code that is changing weekly ? or monthly..

i'd be happy to be proven wrong on this but i suspect it is one of the major
issues behind the impossibility of keeping an up to date mirror of the
packages tree, and this is made worse by having multiple architectures
and releases now, e.g packages-4-stable, packages-5-current for i386, alpha,
and eventually sparc64 and others.

here at ftp.au.freebsd.org i try and keep the packages-4-stable tree updated
once a week to once a fortnight.  it still takes most of a day - sometimes
3 or 4 days, to update one tree.

regards,

-jason