Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 00:27:26 -0800
From:      Doug King <dj@stmichael.org>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Webserver

Hi Ralf,

I'm currently running on a T1 (more than I need) that's two hops out of
MaeWEST. The upstream provider is CerfNET... but I'm actually borrowing
the T1 (or at least most of it) from one of their customers.

Not sure whether it's available where you are, but rather than either
frame or ISDN, you might try to find a provider that offers xDSL....
which looks like THE way to go up-to about T1 speeds.

Concentric is beginning to offer it around here with prices (more or
less... from memory) like the following (unfortunately, *I* can't sign
up yet... they're still two exchanges away from me... but I'm first on
the list):

128-384K 	XDSL	$159
512K	 	XDSL	$259
1.544M/384K	ADSL	$399

All of the above presumably INCLUDE the XDSL modem, 32 IP addresses,
Primary/Secondary DNS, line charges... Install is, if I remember
correctly, less than $750.

Don't know (much) about network latency, yet... but it shouldn't be too
bad... and XDSL, unlike ADSL provides balanced bandwidth both
directions.

Cheers,
dj

--