Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 2016 05:55:20 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>, Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Toolchain <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>
Subject:   3 quick questions about stack alignment for powerpc (32-bit) signal handlers

3 quick FreeBSD for powerpc (32-bit) questions:

A) For PowerPC (32-bit) what is the stack alignment requirement by the =
ABI(s) that FreeBSD targets?

B) Are signal handlers supposed to be given that alignment?

I ask because signal handlers are at times begin given just 4-byte =
alignment but clang 3.8.0 powerpc's code generation can depend on the =
alignment being more than 4.

clang 3.8.0 can calculate addresses by, for example, masking in a 0x4 =
relative to what would need to be an aligned address with alignment 8 or =
more instead of adding 0x4 to a more arbitrary address.

So far I've only seen less than 8 byte stack alignment via signal =
handler activity.

C) Which should be blamed for problems here: clang's code generation, =
FreeBSD's stack alignment handling for signals, or both?

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net