Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2020 18:46:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Jonathan Anderson <jonathan@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@freebsd.org>, micchie.gml@gmail.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow PXE boot

> On 25 Feb 2020, at 17:27, Hiroki Sato wrote:
>
> >  [...] And the server side was Linux.
> >
> >  Have anyone else also experienced this kind of very slow PXE booting?
> >  It may be specific to using a Linux NFS server.
>
> I experience very slow PXE loading from a FreeBSD TFTP/NFS server, especially when UEFI is involved. I?d be happy to run tests and otherwise gather data.

I have seen this before as well, I tried to debug it, then some changes someplace suddently made it disappear and I was unable to duplicate it.

Note I also use a very sacred pxeboot image from a 11.x system I saved that just works for me.
I boot systems with a native pxe rom, they are handed my custom built more complete pxe that understands nfs and http.
I then boot our loader and kernel via nfs.
The only thing I do over tftp is to hand out my customer version of the pxe code and my menu.pxe file.