Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 14:12:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        b.horton@ukonline.co.uk (Benn Horton)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   User PPP and routing (was: no subject)

Benn Horton asked:

> I am having problems connecting to my ISP with FreeBSD 2.1.7. I am using
> user PPP command to connect through my modem and I do manage to
> connect without any problems. The IPCP sets my host IP address and defines
> the peer IP address. I have configures the resolv.conf file with the
> IP address of the nameserver (which is correct since it works with the
> Internet Explorer dialer). I have tried using PPP in the dial on demand mode
> but when I run network commands like ping, ftp the command seems to hang
> and times out with an error message. The message states that the
> hostname for the DNS nameserver was not found. I find this strange since
> the FreeBSD handbook gives instructions to use an IP address rather than
> a hostname in the resolv.conf file. How can I configuring my networking so
> that all packets will be routed to my ISP and use the nameserver?

My answer, from the mailing list archives on the FreeBSD web site, can
be found at:

	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/search.cgi?words=default+route&max=25&source=freebsd-questions&docnum=8

You should note that this answer was posted on 10 Nov 1996, and has been
answered numerous times since then.  It was found by searching for
"default route", any number of other search paths would have found it
as well.  ;^)