Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 21:32:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.1.7 FreeBSD

Do realize that this is more of a hardware issue than software.  My
experience with keyboards on PC's is like this;

For AT keyboards (the bigger, older ones) the keyboard will not work if
you boot the machine without a keyboard.  As well, the keyboard will not
work if you unplug it and plug it back in, it will not work.  I have been
told that this is not true, but I have never seen the opposite of what I
described to have happened.

For PS2 keyboards (the smaller, news ones, that have the same connectors
as PS2 mice) it will depend on the motherboard.  With some [cheaper it
seems] motherboards, the keyboard will not work if the machine is booted
without a keyboard or if the keyboard is unplugged and re-inserted.  With
other [more expensive?] motherboards the keyboard works as normal if it is
plugged in after the machine is booted, or if it is removed and
re-inserted.  The BIOS setting for if the machine should give an error on
boot without a keyboard MAY have an effect on this, but I have never
really cared too much. :)

In my experience, Asus motherboards always let me unplug the keyboard and
plug it in later.  Gigabit and some other weird ones always seem to not
recognize when the keyboard has been plugged in after the machine is
booted.

Mice are quite similar it seems as well.

Just my two cents.