Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 17:47:47 -0600
From:      ML Duke <mlduke@concentric.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Loading Win

After this format drive/reload win95 experience, I have been reminded
that I have an undocumented trick whenever its necessary to reinstall
win95:

"setup \ir" from the cdrom drive in dos will reinstall 95 without
trashing the FBSD Boot Manager. To access the cdrom drive, delete
"Rem by..." from the appropriate line in autoexecbat such that the
line begins with "C..." to access the cdrom.

Note that this only works on a reinstall. I just discovered it
_does not_ work on a new install after formatting the drive. win
wiped out the boot mgr with nary a please nor how de do.

To those who responded with such helpful replies when I was having
the cdrom driver problem, my many thanks. Those messages are in BSD
and when I go back there you will hear from me.

Beyond that, when installing a device driver, it sure helps a lot
to have the ribbon cable plugged in to the device (very red face).

So I wasted some time consumed by helpful volunteers. My apologies.

The above, hopefully, will save some time for anyone running dual
systems where 95 is one of them. And, BTW, I've posted this in
response to some posts on questions, and even the old timers were
completely unaware.

ML Duke