Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 20:05:46 +0100
From:      Ruben van Staveren <ruben@verweg.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FBSD4.4-STABLE SMP broken!

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 05:25:20PM +0100, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> I did a cvsupdate today, the target machine was running
> stable for the last four days.
>
> After the update and make world today, the system run a few minutes and then
> get stuck ... no keyboard input, nothing, no network response.
>
> A similar machine, also a SMP server, but no ServerWorks chipset, seems
> to run stable after the same time cvsupdate.

Same here, stability `improved' when stripping out USB and I2C support.
this all happend when I upgraded from RELENG_4_3 to RELENG_4 on last sunday.
I had resynced with RELENG_4 today, but no effect.

dmesg and kernel config can be found on http://ruben.is.verweg.com/freebsd

Motherboard is an ASUS P2B-DS.

The system can run fine for a day, serving as gateway and firewall and
providing email and proxy for the home network. When running an interactive X
logon it runs for about a couple of hours before freezing up. sometimes the
machine comes back after a couple of minutes, only to freeze again later on.

Some of the freezes happened while just browsing with mozilla, a make
deinstall of a port, or after an rm -rf /usr/obj. It is not reproducable
however: the system did compile and install a whole userland and kernel while
running an interactive X session

I'm currently building a RELENG_4_4 system to see if the stability improves
even more.

Regards,
	Ruben

--