Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 96 08:53:00 PDT
From:      Duncan Barclay <Duncan.Barclay@pa-consulting.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FS breaks when using ft.

>> I then tried to reread these (with ft) to / in single user mode and
>> with /usr mounted ro. This caused duplicate inodes to be created
>> and references to block -1 (as stated from fsck).

>You can hardly blame `ft' for this, since it doesn't deal with the
>file system directly.  It passes everything on to tar, so if your
>filesystem is hosed afterwards, this is certainly quite another kind
>of bug (in the kernel, or with your hardware).
>
>--
>cheers, J"org

Yes, I suppose I should have said the ft driver _may_ be
hosing things. I did realise last night that I was probably
contributing to the problem by the way I was fscking filesystems,
(after five years using fsck you would think I would know when to
mount and unmount...:-( ). I am going to try some more testing
over the next week or so with 2.1.5R and try to replicate the problems.

Duncan