Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 2020 09:31:21 +0930
From:      "O'Connor, Daniel" <darius@dons.net.au>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
Cc:        Farhan Khan <farhan@farhan.codes>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recognizing Matrix as an official channel

> On 18 Aug 2020, at 05:50, Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net> wrote:
>=20
> 17.08.2020 21:36, Farhan Khan wrote:
>>=20
>> I am a long-time IRC user. I see that FreeBSD recognizes the EFnet =
and FreeNode channels as official, as listed here: =
https://wiki.freebsd.org/IRC/Channels. While it continues to serve the =
community, there are major limitations and I feel that it might be time =
to migrate towards a replacement.
>>=20
>> The "market" of communication going forward is clearly shifting =
towards more feature-ful protocols, such as Slack, Discord or Gitter. =
The only open-source and viable option in this class systems that I see =
Matrix. There is an active FreeBSD channel located at =
#FreeBSD:matrix.org, along with a few other BSD-related channels.
>>=20
>> I propose making this an officially recognized channel for FreeBSD =
communication and encouraging migration from IRC to Matrix.
>=20
> What is Matrix's level of support for FreeBSD?
> Is there native FreeBSD client?
> Is there native FreeBSD server?

The server is in ports - net/py-matrix-synapse
A client is available also - net-im/nheko

I've only run the server on FreeBSD but it worked well enough.

--
Daniel O'Connor
are so many of them to choose from."