Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 1997 17:14:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        ache@nagual.pp.ru, skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG, jdp@FreeBSD.ORG, xaa@stack.nl
Subject:   Re: CVSUP and CVS branches: bug?

> >Edit src/sbin/disklabel/disklabel.5.5,v -> Attic
> >  Add tag bsd_44_lite_2 -> 1.1.1.3
> >  Add delta 1.1.1.3 97.07.02.00.24.14 bde
> >
> >So I think perhaps some files just got misplaced by humans and CVSup
> >propogated them normally.
>
> It's just part of 4.4Lite[2] that we renamed.  CVS and human handling of
> renaming sucks, and we're left with disklabel.5.5 on the vendor branch
> in the attic and a spontaneously created disklabel.5 disconnected from
> the vendor branch and its own history.

Half-serious suggestion... why not ask Perforce if they would like
to "donate" their source management system for FreeBSD's non-commercial
use? Not likely, but anyway here's a ref to it:

    http://www.perforce.com/perforce/index.html

It addresses most if not all of the many problems that CVS has.

-Archie