Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 2021 17:34:20 +0200
From:      Guido Falsi via ports <ports@freebsd.org>
To:        "Janky Jay, III" <jankyj@unfs.us>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFCE4 No Longer Displaying 3rd-Party Fonts.

On 13/07/21 16:04, Janky Jay, III wrote:
> Hi Guido,
>> Where exactly are you missing the extra fonts? I just made a quick
>> test (on my FreeBSD 14 machine running xfce from latest) and in
>> mousepad (xfce text editor) I see various fonts in the list (serto,
>> caladea, carlito, Liberation) and can choose those. Maybe I'm checking
>> the wrong place?
>>
>      I first noticed the missing fonts when I opened my xfce4-terminal
> which as previously using an Artwiz font. When I tried to set it back to
> that font after the upgrade, it was no longer a choice. After that,
> looking in the XFCE4 settings, there are also only the same three fonts
> to choose from for any system font.
>
>      When I open Mousepad, there are a couple additional fonts (that must
> come with the application?) such as Sans, Serif and Serto but, again, no
> other fonts such as the Artwiz, Terminus, Caladea, Liberation, etc...

I do see some more fonts there and in other programs. I'm going to make
a test and install an additional font from ports and see if it appears.

>> Have you tried forcing reinstallation of the fonts packages on your
>> system? maybe some caching was lost, reinstalling the package would
>> force rebuilding the font caches.
>>
>      I have! I've tried reinstalling the packages for some of the fonts
> and I've also manually placed the fonts into my ~/.fonts directory and
> re-ran "fc-cache" (which shows the font added) but I continue to get the
> same results.
>
>> I also see various suggestions to add paths to xorg.conf or
>> xorg.conf.d Do you have any? I think modern xorg does not need those
>> and does a pretty good job at autodetecting fonts, such lines could
>> actually confuse it.
>>
>      So far, I have:
>
>    * Re-installed all fonts.
>    * Added the font paths to the "Files" section in the xorg.conf file.
>    * Created a new fonts.conf file in the ${LOCALBASE}/etc/xorg.conf.d
>      directory with the paths to the files.
>    * Made sure the "70-yes-bitmaps.conf" symlink existed in
>      ${LOCALBASE}/etc/fonts/conf.d
>    * Placed the fonts into my ~/.fonts directory, ran
>      mkfontdir/mkfontscale and re-ran "fc-cache -v -f"
>    * Placed the fonts into one of the many directories in
>      /usr/local/share/fonts/* and re-ran "fc-cache"
>    * Checked the Xorg.0.log to verify font paths are being picked up
>      (they are)
>    * Installed and ran "xfontsel" to see if I could search for the fonts
>      and verify they were installed and picked up by X (they are)
>    * Created an ~/.xsession file and entered commands using "xset +fp
>      /paths" to add the fonts after login
>
>      All of the above had lead to nothing thus far. I'm absolutely
> stumped as to why I'm unable to use any of my installed fonts in XFCE4
> applications.

Well if it's specific to xfce you could try having a look at the xfce
configuration files in ~/.config/xfce4, but one has to know exactly how
thing work in there.

One quick test you could do is create a new user on your machine and log
into xfce4 with that user. If that user can see all the fonts, then at
least you know it's most probably an xfce configuration issue.

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>