Date:      Mon, 09 Aug 2010 11:11:08 -0500
From:      Rusty Nejdl <rnejdl@ringofsaturn.com>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Samuel_Mart=C3=ADn_Moro?= <faust64@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Christophe De Traversay <chris@axis.fr>
Subject:   Re: VirtualBox: out of swap space

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 17:37:39 +0200, Samuel Martín Moro
<faust64@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm trying to have a few BSD VMs (4.7, 5.5, 6.2, 7.2, 8.1)
> running under VirtualBox-OSE / FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-amd64
>

> First problem:
>   Sometimes, when I start a VM, all other running VM stop,
>   their status switch to 'abort' (or whatever the
>   traduction is, here it's "avorté").
>   Reading my /var/log/messages, I see a few
>   'pid xxxx (VirtualBox), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space'
>
>   I've got 8Gb of RAM, and so assumed I wouldn't need any swap.
>   Was I wrong?
>   Have I to reinstall my server to add some swap?
>   (and if so, how much?!)

Samuel,

It is generally a bad idea not to have a swap partition.  I have 12GB
of memory and I even hit swap, though very little.

[tethys]:/home/rnejdl> swapinfo -h
Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
/dev/ada0s1b      4194304     4.5M     4.0G     0%

I have 4GB on mine and that is plenty.

I don't have answers for the below though.

Sincerely,
Rusty Nejdl