Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2012 09:21:01 +0000
From:      Graeme Dargie <arab@tangerine-army.co.uk>
To:        'Robert Bonomi' <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: harware compatibility queustion

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@f=
reebsd.org] On Behalf Of Robert Bonomi
Sent: 24 August 2012 03:30
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: harware compatibility queustion

I need to add "more than two' internal SATA _ports_ to a box that will be r=
unning FreeBSD 9. =20

When I look at inexpensive SATA controllers, they all seem to be using chip=
sets thar are _not_ explicitly mentioned in the 'supported hardware'
list.

Can anyone say, authoritatively, that, say, a 'SiL3114'-based cnntroller ca=
rd will work in FreeBSD, as far as 'bare drive' functionality goes?

Alternatively, can anybody recommend an inexpensive 4-port (or more) SATA c=
ontroller card that is known to work with FreeBSD?