Date:      Sun, 01 Apr 2012 20:09:43 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printer recommendation please

On 04/01/12 19:29, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 14:01:43 -0700, perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:
>> I personally don't trust wireless, because it's well nigh impossible
>> to truly secure it.
> In that case, one should also pay attention to secure the
> printer. Wait - secure the printer? What am I talking about?
>
> Firmware attacks!
>
> Yes - malware has already reached printers. As they contain
> all typical parts of a computer and are equipped with net-
> working capabilities, they can cause trouble in networks
> the same way as what hujacked "Windows" PCs typically do.
> They can be turned into networked "allies", carrying out
> the attackers orders within networks.
>
> Those who are interested may find some information here:
>
> Exclusive: Millions of printers open to devastating hack attack, researchers say
> http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/29/9076395-exclusive-millions-of-printers-open-to-devastating-hack-attack-researchers-say
>
> ShmooCon 2011: Printers Gone Wild!
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZgLX60U3sY#t=3m40s
ROFL! Sorry my mind went to an interesting place with this one....
images of printers on spring break flashing their cartridges, opening
flaps to show off their drums... :D

The content isn't funny though. They really should consider their
headlines before releasing...

> ShmooCon 2011: Printer to PWND: Leveraging Multifunction Printers During
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPhisPLwm2A
>
> Printer malware: print a malicious document, expose your whole LAN
> http://boingboing.net/2011/12/30/printer-malware-print-a-malic.html
>
> Print Me If You Dare
> Firmware Modification Attacks and the Rise of Printer Malware
> http://events.ccc.de/congress/2011/Fahrplan/events/4780.en.html
>
> HP firmware to 'mitigate' LaserJet vulnerability
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57347817-83/hp-firmware-to-mitigate-laserjet-vulnerability/
>
> It seems that printers can be infected via specific network
> traffic or closed-source malicious "drivers" (that nobody
> can examine content-wise) that will find their way to the
> device. Depending on your local legislation, that can develop
> into dangerous (and expensive) directions...
>

>>> 2. Standard language.
>>> Postscript and PCL. Make sure the printer understands at least
>>> one of them.
>> or, alternatively, PDF (which some of the newer printers are reputed
>> to take directly, rather than requiring the host to convert it to PS
>> or PCL).
> Jerry mentioned this, and I think it's a feature worth demanding
> when buying a new printer. Still if PDF input is not possible,
> PCL or PS should be looked for. All those considerations make
> sure you can use the printer with _any_ OS you like, and due
> to this fact it will be usable even after the "target OS" will
> be out of support (and follow-up drivers won't be provided).

 From my memory Xerox are pretty good with this. Besides schmoozing the
printed graphics industry they've been a _big_ proponent of the Unix
system; in particular the birth of X-Windows, and various print
standards long before and after M$ came on the scene. They have still
remained a strong supporter of the Unix and printing community. The
Phaser is a good choice.

Unfortunately they are a bit of an elite brand which puts them out of
most home users price range :)