Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 18:16:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rudy Gireyev <rgireyev@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Large DB on FBSD

Hi!

I've got a multiparter for your barin-teasing pleasure.

1. I want to setup and run a large DB on FreeBSD. I'm assuming I will
have to use Postgres. Is anyone running a large DB on FBSD currently?
If so please Please pleasE pLEEEase specify how large.

2. Some of the DB Tools I need to use are available for Linux only.
The authors of those tools are very adamant about not porting them to
FBSD because of their heavy usage of threads. They claim, probably
correctly, that FBSD thread performance is punishing. Now here I get
stuck. Because one of the tools I need is a special form of a WEB
server. So my question is how much of a penalty in performance will I
be paying by running a WEB server on Linux? Would the WEB server run
better under FBSD with Linux emulation (Due to FBSD superior TCP/IP
stack)? Within a month or two I plan to conduct my own test but I
wanted to see if anyone else had done anything similar. If you have
done the comparison could you please specify wich Linux distribution
you used.

3. Lastly I would like to stuff as many SCSI (NCR) boards in my final
machine as I can, final as in not the test machine. What is the limit
of the number of SCSI boards FBSD will handle efficiently. If memory
serves me right this may be a hardware limit of the x86 architecture
bit I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Before you ask I have dug through the archives using both search
engines (hi John :-))