Date:      Fri, 06 Jul 2001 16:39:04 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Peter Losher <Peter.Losher@nominum.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.5-STABLE, NFS, and Solaris NFS clients.

[I'm replying to -stable mainly because, well, I don't have much more
in the way of advice ...]

Peter Losher wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Bill Moran wrote:
>
> > Section "17.4.4 Problems Integrating with other Systems" sounds like
> > it may be your problem. Try out the fixes suggested there and see
> > if they help.
>
> Tried those, while it helped to some degree on some of the Solaris boxes
> (we have seven) it still crashes on some of them.
>
> What I did is copied a 91MB tar file from a Solaris NFS client (w/ w=1024
> in /etc/auto_master)  It would copy 2/3's of the way through, then the NFS
> server would print this on the screen:
>
> inode
> syncing disks... 48 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46
> giving up
> Uptime: 7d5h8m1s
>
> <then freeze hard, requiring a power cycle - No core file, no entry in
> messages>
>
> On another system, it copied over fine, but the NFS client wouldn't give
> the prompt back until I Ctrl-C'ed it.
>
> FWIW, the NFS Server (running 3.5-STABLE) has 4 nfsd proccess running.
> Would increasing the number of nfsd processes help?

Do you have a large number of clients? If the answer is yes, increasing
the number of nfsd processes could help. I have a hard time believing
that not having enough could panic or freeze up a system, but it's worth
a try.

-Bill