Date:      Tue, 05 Oct 1999 19:56:47 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Lyndon Griffin" <lgriffin@naviant.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newsyslog question

On Tue, 05 Oct 1999 01:19:36 MST, "Lyndon Griffin" wrote:

> What is the recommended way to control when newsyslog rotates files?  =
> What I mean by this is I would like to rotate a particular log weekly, =
> which is no problem - I figured that much out, but I want the rotation =
> to occur at 7pm, for example.

Hi Lyndon,

Here's how the newsyslog(8) manpage describes the when field in
newsyslog.conf:

    when    The when field can consist of an interval, a specific
	    time, or both.  If the when field is an asterisk (`*')
	    log rotation will depend only on the contents of the size
	    field.  Otherwise, the when field consists of an optional
	    interval in hours, optionally followed by an `@'-sign and
	    a time in a restricted ISO 8601 for- mat.  If a time is
	    specified, the log file will only be trimmed if newsyslog
	    is run within one hour of the specified time.  If an
	    interval is specified, the log file will be trimmed if that
	    many hours have passed since the last rotation.  When both
	    a time and an interval are specified, both conditions must
	    be satisfied for the rotation to take place.

The manpage then goes on to descibe the time format.

Hope that helps. :-)

Later,
Sheldon.