Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 15:02:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      bruno.schwander@technologist.com
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ucd snmp and MIBs for turbostack TS24tr

Hi Bill,

I used this MIB: ftp://ftp.alliedtelesyn.com/pub/repeater/athub.mib

I saved it in /usr/local/share/snmp/mibs/ATI-MIB.txt
and commented out these lines

        DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

        IMPORTS  enterprises, Counter
                       FROM RFC1155-SMI
                 DisplayString
                       FROM RFC1213-MIB
                 TRAP-TYPE
                       FROM RFC-1215;
--               rptrAddrTrackNewLastSrcAddress
--                     FROM RFC1516-MIB;

^^^^^^^^^^^^
these two lines.

I tried first using an RFC1516.MIB file I found on the net, but that was
giving me even more problems. Then I looked at why this file was needed
and basically the only thing is tha rptrAddrTr... variable, that is
mentioned as deprecated and replaced by another one later in the ATI-MIB
file.

I ran snmpwalk -m ATI-MIB hub public  (hub is the dns name of my hub)
and got this

system.sysDescr.0 = "Allied Telesyn International AT-TS24TR Stackable
Hub: 4.1, AT-S10"
system.sysObjectID.0 =
OID: enterprises.alliedTelesyn.products.repeater.hubTurboStack
system.sysUpTime.0 = Timeticks: (18823981) 2 days, 4:17:19.81
system.sysContact.0 = "bruno@tinkerbox.org"

in the first lines, so it is getting info from the hub.

> Perhaps the MIB has more errors than you know.  If you give me a pointer
> to the MIB and some samples of the numerical OIDs that you're getting I
> might be able to help.

some OIDs that have data are:

22.2.1.1.0 = 0
22.2.2.1.1.1.1 = 1
22.2.2.1.1.2.1 = 171679
22.2.2.1.1.3.1 = 69305233
22.1.2.1.1.3.1 = OID: enterprises.alliedTelesyn.products.repeater.71
22.1.2.1.1.4.1 = 2
22.1.2.1.1.5.1 = Timeticks: (0) 0:00:00.00

that one is weird, because the timeticks can be found on

system.sysUpTime.0 = Timeticks: (18839140) 2 days, 4:19:51.40

with the right value.

> If you pick a name in that MIB and say "snmptranslate <name>", does it
> tell you the OID associated with it?  At one point you had to do something

I tried with
snmptranslate -m ATI-MIB hubReadableFrames
Invalid object identifier: hubReadableFrames

I suppose it should be fully qualified, but I have not delved far enough
in that mib file to understand fully it's syntax...

> like "setenv MIBS ALL" to get net-snmp to notice new MIBs even if you
> put them in the right directory.

the -m seems to be doing it, since with that option snmp complains of
syntax errors in the mib file when I add some garbage in it :-)

I tried with the env var MIBS set to ALL and it is the same...

bruno