Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 15:46:18 -0600
From:      "John McNamee" <jpm@igcinc.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tape Backup

On 23 Apr 99 at 13:22, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> > Is there tape backup software for FreeBSD that in addition to backing up UNIX
> > will also backup NT Servers with Registry and Microsoft SQL Server on a live
> > system. I am using BE for NT currently but would like to move yet another
> > network function to BSD.
>
> Backing up SQL databases requires the backup program to have initmate
> knowledge of the DB system so it can handle the hot backup properly.
> I doubt it can be done from remote reliably.

FYI...

The way this is handled in the NT and Netware worlds is that the backup
software doesn't directly access the SQL database files.  An agent (e.g.
daemon) runs on the database server machine, and it handles all the
details of database I/O to allow hot backup and restore.  These agents
are all proprietary -- you need one specific both to the database and
the backup product.  Database agents are typically a high priced add-on
and not part of the basic backup software.

--John