Date:      Thu, 06 Nov 1997 00:08:53 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sio buffer overflows

> I'm on an unladen (just running X) Pentium Pro 200 with a 16650.  I am

What's a 16650 (is this the thing w/ the 256 byte FIFO) ?

> doing iijppp over multilink PPP on this port.  The port speed is set to

ppp doesn't support multilink PPP yet.

> 57600 (230.4K effective).  The port is detected as a 16650.  I am running
> a very recent -current.

If the port speed is set to 57600, then that's the maximum data rate
(although you may get more if you're using PREDICTOR1 and/or VJ
compression).

If your modem is running at 14400, you shouldn't see the overflows
unless there's a problem with your UART.

If your modem is running at 28.8 or 33.6, you ought to up your DTR to
115200.  If you still get the overflows, I'd start looking at the
UART......

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;