Date:      Sun, 2 Aug 1998 21:58:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      pete@altadena.net
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bin/7475: IPFW problem

>Number:         7475
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       IPFW fails to load a file on boot
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.7-STABLE i386
>Environment:

	Multiple interfaces, using IPFW for policy

	Using a filename as argument to firewall_type in rc.conf,
	results in a boot failure because ipfw will not accept a -q
	option if a filename is given.  I have worked around this
	by replacing the last line in rc.firewall with
	ipfw ${firewall_type} </dev/null

	The -q (or redirection) should be needed since the leading flush in
	the firewall config file makes the boot hang otherwise.  However,
	when the config is coming from a file, there appears to be no
	way to make ipfw accept a -q.

>How-To-Repeat:

	See Description

>Fix:

	The first time I ran into this I did a minor rewrite to ipfw
	so it would parse arguments correctly; it currently uses getopt
	improperly.  Then I did a make world and lost my fixes :-(
	The removal of -q from that last command line, and redirect of
	stdin from /dev/null at least works around the problem, though
	it isn't a real fix.