Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 02:49:26 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   make installworld 'kinda' broken in perl

I often do 'make buildworld' on one machine
and on many other machines I do:
 mount  -r /usr/src
 mount -r /usr/obj

through nfs so I can do a 'make installworld'
using the prebuilt system.

Unfortunatly the perl distribution is trying to write
back to /usr/obj or /usr/src.

it is the only place that does this. And it's new becasue
I've done this in the past.

here's the error:
===> gnu/usr.bin/perl/library/SDBM_File
cd sdbm && make all
rm -rf libsdbm.a                    <----- why does it try to do this?
                                      surely it should have been done in the
                                      'buildworld' phase. I'm not sure if
                                      it's trying to rm in /usr/obj or /usr/src,
                                      but either way, it's wrong..

rm: libsdbm.a: Read-only file system
*** Error code 1 (continuing)
`all' not remade because of errors.
rm -rf libsdbm.a
rm: libsdbm.a: Read-only file system
*** Error code 1 (continuing)
`all' not remade because of errors.
Installing /usr/libdata/perl/5.6.0/mach/SDBM_File.pm
Installing /usr/libdata/perl/5.6.0/mach/auto/sdbm/extralibs.ld
Installing /usr/libdata/perl/5.6.0/mach/auto/SDBM_File/SDBM_File.so
Installing /usr/libdata/perl/5.6.0/mach/auto/SDBM_File/SDBM_File.bs
Writing /usr/libdata/perl/5.6.0/mach/auto/SDBM_File/.packlist
Appending installation info to /usr/libdata/perl/5.6.0/mach/perllocal.pod
===> gnu/usr.bin/perl/library/Socket

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org